ROBERT E. LEE HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY AND INFORMATION
Philosophy: The faculty and staff of Robert E. Lee High School believe that each student is to be given the opportunity to acquire an education which includes intellectual, aesthetic, cultural, physical, and moral maturation within a democratic framework of standards and ideals.
The faculty believes that students, as individuals, are entitled to equal education opportunities based on a functional and progressively designed curriculum. Believing that all learners are unique in their reponses to the educational environment, the faculty, and staff seek to encourage, guide, motivate, and evaluate the students' progress as they strive to achieve their full learning potential. Therefore, all teachers work to establish a positive atmosphere which will enhance all students' chances to experience success in the areas of academics and career-oriented endeavors.
Colors / Mascot Red and White / Robert E. Lee Generals
"Ne incautus futurei"
"Let us not be unconcerned about the future"
LEE STATUE LEGEND:
In June 1908, Robert E. Lee's imposing statue was unveiled at the Madison Terrace/Winona Avenue intersection. It was later moved to the end of Madison Avenue, near the Ann Street corner, and is now on the grounds of Lee High School a little farther south on Ann Street. The statue has stood at three different locations, but always facing North. Tradition says that the general would never turn his back to the possibility of approching enemies from the North.
RELHS ALMA MATER: Lee High, we honor thee today, as always we shall do,
When e'er our thoughts of thee are turned,
Our hearts imbibe anew,
The sweetest draft from purest springs of knowledge,
deep and clear
Alma Mater, nearer, dearer,
Be thy spirit year by year.
(Annie Laurie Lindsey)
OF FACILITIES: In January 1953 the Montgomery Board of Education paid $74,000 for an estimated 12 acres of property on Ann Street to house a proposed high school. Following the purchase, U.S. Senator Lister Hill of Montgomery co-authored legislation through which the federal government contributed $807,000 toward the school's total cost of $1,064,500. Federal aid was granted due to the school's location, with Maxwell and Gunter Air Force Bases adding approximately 6,000 children to Montgomery's public schools. Furnishings valued at $125,000 pushed the final cost of the new facility to nearly $1.25 million. Cited as "one of the most modern plants in the South" by the MontgomeryAdvertiser, the new high school boasted 50 classrooms, a lunchroom, gymnasium, library, three music rooms, a commercial department, and two shops.
With the aim of alleviating overcrowding at Sidney Lanier High School, the doors of Robert E. Lee High School opened to students for the first time on September 6, 1955. Thirty five faculty members joined Principal T.C. Carlton in welcoming approximately 800 students to the new campus. Most of the 232 juniors and 173 seniors entering Lee were transfers from Lanier, and some 354 sophomores moved up from area junior high schools. Lee's first graduating class boasted 144 members.
Numerous additions to the physical plant were made as enrollment surpassed the initial peak figure of 1,300. The back wing was extended in the late '50s, and an auditorium was added in 1963 (which respectively seats 1964 - because that was the year the auditorium was completed). The guidance office, lunchroom, and library were enlarged and the math wing and mini-gym were added during the 1970's. Through a variety of projects, students and teachers raised the necessary $80,000, and by 1979 rooms were air conditioned. Increased enrollment led to expanded parking facilities and in the last few years significant improvements have been made to the track and to the band, AFJROTC, and athletic practice fields. In 1992 the library underwent extensive renovation and the entire plant received a new roof.
In 1997 land behind Lee was donated to the school. The apartments were razed and in 2000 the space was completely paved, enclosed and striped with parking spot numbers due to the demand of much needed parking. The Home Economics living/dining room has recently been redecorated, providing comfortable and appealing place for small gatherings and special occasions. Recently, additional computer labs have been added to the facility. In the summer of 2002, the entire school system was networked and wired with Sonic Net fiber optic cable to provide better and faster internet and network capabilities.
Robert E. Lee High School
225 Ann St.
Montgomery, AL 36107